11. Apr, 2016



Emergence is a service user-led organisation supporting all people affected by personality disorder including service users, carers, family and friends and professionals.

Many of you may be familiar with the work of Borderline UK and/or Personality Plus. In the summer of 2009 the board of directors of both organisations decided to merge to improve the valuable services, information, training and events.

There are some brilliant links to resources and services. Some can be seen below:

Personality disorder diagnosis
Paranoid Personality Disorder
Schizoid Personality Disorder
Schizotypal Personality Disorder
Antisocial Personality Disorder
Borderline Personality Disorder
Histrionic Personality Disorder
Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Avoidant Personality Disorder
Dependent Personality Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder

All Pages

 Please visit http://web.archive.org/web/20150315071856/http://www.emergenceplus.org.uk/ for more information


Some of the information provided by the Emergence website is very valuable. For instance, there is a considerable amount of information on the treatment available and your rights. Please see below.

Treatment and your rights

It is important to know that, unless you are detained in hospital (often called ‘sectioned’), under a community treatment order, or under a court order, you do have a choice about your treatment. You can choose whether medication or therapy is right for you.

If you want to discuss your treatment with your mental health professional but don’t feel able to, or feel that you might not be listened to, you might find it helpful to speak to a mental health advocate. An advocate is someone who supports you to get your point of view across. Each area should have a service providing advocates. To find out about mental health advocates in your area, you can search on the Action for Advocacy website (http://www.actionforadvocacy.org.uk) or ask your local Mind association.

The principle of choice in your care and treatment is embedded in all NICE Guidelines about PD, most Government policy related to PD and the NHS Constitution:

NICE Guidelines

The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) is an independent organisation responsible for giving national guidance on treating health conditions. The organisation brings together experts, patients and carers to develop guidelines on how to treat health conditions and what type of treatments should be available on the NHS. (For a copy of the guidelines related to PD go to the Resources section of this site)

The NHS Constitution (which sets out the rights and responsibilities of people using NHS services) provides a legal right to people to be able to access the treatment recommended by NICE.

This is your legal right. If you feel that your treatment or that of someone you care for does not follow the NICE guidelines and you think it should, you can challenge this.  

The first step would be to make a complaint to your local NHS Trust or Primary Care Trust. The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at your local NHS Trust or Primary Care Trust can help you with this. You can also get independent advice and representation from your local Independent Complaints Advocacy Service. They have a statutory role to support people using services and carers who wish to make a complaint about their NHS treatment or care.

If you have made a formal complaint locally and are still unhappy, the Care Quality Commission (CQC) can investigate further - www.cqc.org.uk


Information that you can understand, and which answers your questions, is vital to being able to make choices about your treatment. Whenever you are offered a treatment, you should be provided with information to help you make your decision. This information should be available to you in different formats so that it can be easily understood by everybody. If you find reading difficult, you could ask for the information to be presented in different ways such as in a DVD or podcast. As well as being given information, you should always be given an opportunity to talk to a mental health professional about the different options available, and the benefits and drawbacks of any options. If you are not automatically given information or time to talk to someone, you can ask for this - national guidelines and the NHS Constitution set out your right to information.

NHS Constitution And User/Carer Involvement

The NHS Constitution sets out your rights and responsibilities as a patient of the NHS. (For a copy of the NHS Constitution, go to the Resources section of this site).

One of the key principles is that:

There is a long history, in the UK and overseas, of people who have experience of mental health services campaigning for better treatment and support services. In the UK, this is widely known as the User or Survivor Movement. Each area has groups for people who use or have used mental health services to come together to campaign for improvements in the way that people are treated.

It is now accepted that people who have been through the mental health system have a valuable contribution to make in the design, delivery and evaluation of mental health services. There is a growing trend for the friends, family, partners and carers to get involved and have a voice in the development of mental health services, too. The views and opinions of service users and carers should now be integral to decisions about how mental health services are run in their area. This right to be heard is also included in the NHS Constitution:

To find out about opportunities to get involved in your area contact your local NHS Trust Patient and Public Involvement (PPI) lead, your Local Involvement Network (http://www.lx.nhs.uk), or the National Survivor User Network (NSUN) (http://www.nsun.org.uk).


 Finding support in your area

For immediate support during a crisis

  • Contact NHS 111 in England, NHS Direct Wales on 0845 46 47 or NHS 24 in Scotland (08454 24 24 24). You can call NHS 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency. NHS 111 is a fast and easy way to get the right help, whatever the time. NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.
  • In an emergency situation you can call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. 
  • Contact your GP - they may be able to offer you support themselves, or refer you to specialist mental health services. If your GP surgery is closed they will have an out of hours service you can contact instead.
  • The Samaritans are there to listen 24 hours a day. Call on 116 123 - calls to this number is free of charge in the UK, whether made from a fixed line, mobile or public phone box.
  • Saneline offers emotional support out of office hours and is open everyday 6pm to 11pm on 0845 767 8000.
  • Most areas have a mental health crisis team available 24 hours a day, you should be able to get their contact details via your local council or social services, or see them via A&E.

General Support

Below are suggestions for how to find out about support available in your local area:

  • Contact your GP - they may be able to offer you support themselves, refer you to specialist mental health services and provide information about local support groups.
  • Self-help – you may find it helpful to learn more about personality disorders, the particular difficulties you are struggling with and the strategies other people have developed to help them cope. There are an increasing number of self help publications and internet websites about mental health issues, details of these can be found in the Links section of the site.
  • Contact NHS 111 in England, NHS Direct Wales on 0845 46 47 or NHS 24 in Scotland (111). They all have access to information about local services and can usually point you in the direction of someone able to help.
  • Local mental health charities – most local mental health charities have information about support available in the area. Many also run services such as day centres and social groups themselves. To find out about local mental health charities check your phone book, contact Mind to see if they have an organisation in your area, ask at your GP surgery or local library.
  • Contact your local Mental Health NHS Trust – they will be able to provide information about the mental health services they offer in your area and how to access them. They will also be able to give you information about any services specifically for people given a diagnosis of personality disorder in your region.
  • Check for service maps – some areas have developed an online map of services for people given a diagnosis of personality disorder or experiencing the difficulties often associated with these diagnoses.
  • Professional registers/associations – professional associations for different types of therapies often have searchable databases to help you find a therapist in your area. You can find details for some these associations in the Links section (opens in a new page) of this website.
  • Contact Emergence – the Emergence network as a whole has access to a large amount of information about personality disorder, different treatments and services. If you cannot find the information you need on our website please do contact us at admin@emergenceplus.org.uk This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it and we will try our best to help.